Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Easy Caramels

Kitchen of Christene H

1 can condensed Eagle Brand milk
1/4 lb. butter
1 c. sugar
1 c. white karo syrup

Stir mixture constantly over medium heat unti it reaches 242 degrees (or firm ball stage). It takes a little while.
Add 1 c. nuts if desired.

Pour into a 9x9 pan lined completely with parchment paper, buttered or sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Best if allowed to stand 1 day. Remove with parchment paper from the pan and lay on cutting board. Use sharp knife to cut into squares and wrap in waxed paper.
Makes about 50 1" pieces.

Dipped Caramels

Make caramels from the recipe above. Melt white chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips one at a time in double boiler. Have several dipping mediums ready in small bowls. I used candy sprinkles (for sugar cookies), chopped walnuts, and crushed candy canes. Quickly dip the caramels in chocolate and then immediately into the sprinkles or nuts. Lay on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Dip half in white and half in milk chocolate if desired. Once everything is dipped, put cookie sheet into the fridge to set chocolate.

1 comment:

Cyndi said...

I didn't know you had started this! Isn't it fun. I love doing my food blog. I have grand designs for so many of my family favorite recipes. I really started it because I wanted all of my mom's recipe's and so did all of my brothers and sister. It's been kinda fun dipping into what my family really eats! Love ya!